Effective Date – May 23, 2022
This PRIVACY NOTICE FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS supplements the information contained in the Privacy Statement of Gelfand, Rennert & Feldman, LLC (“we,” “our,” “us”) and applies to residents of the State of California (“consumers” or “you”). We adopt this notice to comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) and other California privacy laws.
Information We Collect:
“Personal Information” is information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with you. Personal Information does not include information that is publicly available, de-identified, or aggregated. We have collected the following categories of Personal Information from consumers within the last twelve (12) months:
|Category||Examples||Purposes for Collection|
|Identifiers.||A real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, Social Security number, driver’s license number, passport number, or other similar identifiers.||
|Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).|| A name, signature, Social Security number, physical characteristics or description, address, telephone number, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, insurance policy number, education, employment, employment history, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information, medical information, or health insurance information.|
Some Personal Information included in this category may overlap with other categories.
|Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.||Age, race, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, marital status, medical condition, physical or mental disability, sex (including gender, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, veteran or military status||
|Biometric Information.||Facial recognition data collected by security cameras when you visit our offices.||
|Professional or employment- related information.||Current or past job history||
|Education information.||School(s) attended and other information relating to your secondary and post-secondary education||
Personal Information does not include:
- Publicly available information from government records.
- De-identified or aggregated consumer information.
- Information excluded from the CCPA’s scope, such as:
Health or medical information covered by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (“HIPAA”), the California Confidentiality of Medical Information Act (“CMIA”), or clinical trial data;
- Personal information covered by certain sector-specific privacy laws, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (“FRCA”), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (“GLBA”) or California Financial Information Privacy Act (“FIPA”), and the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994.
We obtain the categories of Personal Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from our clients or their agents. For example, from documents that our clients provide to us related to the services for which they engage us.
- Indirectly from our clients or their agents. For example, through information we collect from our clients in the course of providing services to them.
- Directly and indirectly from activity on our website (***grfllp.com). For example, from submissions through our website portal (e.g., contact information or job applicant information).
- From third parties that interact with us in connection with the services we perform. For example, third-party tax preparation software.
Sharing Personal Information:
We take reasonable measures to protect personal information we obtain through the Site from loss, theft,
We may disclose your Personal Information to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose Personal Information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that Personal Information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed the following categories of Personal Information for a business purpose:
Category A: Identifiers
Category B: California Customer Records Personal Information categories.
Category C: Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
Category I: Professional or employment-related information.
We disclose your Personal Information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
- Our affiliates.
- Service providers.
- Third parties to whom you or your agents authorize us to disclose your Personal Information in connection with products or services we provide to you.
NOTE: In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have not sold any Personal Information to third parties for a business or commercial purpose. Furthermore, we will not sell Personal Information in the future.
Your Rights and Choices:
California residents have the right to submit certain requests relating to their Personal Information as described below. Please note that when submitting a request, you may be asked to provide information to verify your identity before action is taken. You may designate an authorized agent to make the requests below on your behalf. An authorized agent must submit proof to us that he or she has been authorized by you to act on your behalf, and you will still need to verify your identity directly with us before we can process the request.
Right to Know:
You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your Personal Information over the past twelve (12) months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will disclose to you:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the Personal Information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting that Personal Information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that Personal Information.
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you (also called a data portability request).
- Confirmation that we did not sell or disclose your Personal Information for a business purpose.
Right to Delete:
You have the right to request that we delete any of your Personal Information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service providers to:
- Complete the transaction for which the Personal Information was collected, provide a good or service requested by the consumer, or reasonably anticipated within the context of a business’s ongoing business relationship with the consumer, or otherwise perform a contract between the business and the consumer
- Detect security incidents; protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity; or prosecute those responsible for that activity
- Debug to identify and repair errors existing intended functionality
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise his/her right of free speech, or exercise another right provided for by law
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act
- Engage in public or peer-received scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information’s deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research’s achievement, if you previously provided informed consent
- To enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with the expectations of the consumer based on the consumer’s relationship with the business
- Comply with a legal obligation
- Otherwise use the consumer’s Personal Information, internally, in a lawful manner that is compatible with the context in which the consumer provided the information
- Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
- Calling us at 833-479-0336
- Visiting grfllp.com and using our intake form
Only you or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your Personal Information. You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a twelve (12) -month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
- We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you. Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use Personal Information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
Third Party Marketing
We do not share Personal Information as defined by California Civil Code § 1798.83 (“Shine the Light” law) with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes.
Changes to Our Privacy Notice:
We reserve the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this privacy notice, we will notify you by email or through a notice on our website homepage.
This Privacy Notice can be found online at www.grfllp.com
If you have any questions or comments about this notice, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please do not hesitate to contact us at:
Privacy and Information Security Office
Gelfand, Rennert & Feldman, LLC
1880 Century Park East, #1600
Los Angeles, CA 90067